Fleet managers everywhere recognize the many benefits fleet management systems bring–from improving driver performance through visibility and analytics to increasing driver performance.
In this blog post, we’ll explore how integrating an intelligent system into your operations can help you achieve maximum results in managing your fleets.
Table of Contents
- 1 How Do Fleet Managers Utilize Artificial Intelligence to Make Their Fleets More Productive?
- 2 What Steps Can Fleet Managers Take To Implement an Intelligent Management System?
- 2.1 Step 1: Consider investing in advanced fleet management technology.
- 2.2 Step 2: Research the right systems and tools.
- 2.3 Step 3: Focus on what will be critical as you move forward.
- 2.4 Step 4: Establish a process for data collection and analysis.
- 2.5 Step 5: Develop an infrastructure strategy for your business and communicate with your team.
- 2.6 Step 6: Iterate and improve processes on an ongoing basis.
- 3 Final Thoughts
How Do Fleet Managers Utilize Artificial Intelligence to Make Their Fleets More Productive?
As a powerful data mining tool, artificial intelligence (AI) can be a critical asset for fleet managers for day-to-day decision-making. Here are some areas where AI can help fleet management more efficient and productive:
- Analyzing fleet performance and driver behavior. AI-powered dash cams, like Driver•i, have real-time detection of unsafe driving behaviors (e.g., distracted, tired, or aggressive driving). The system provides valuable insights into how individual drivers can improve their performance and adopt safer driving practices. Managers can use these data in developing targeted coaching to help improve fleet performance and safety scores.
- Locating and identifying vehicles and trailers. Using GPS technology, fleet management software allows managers to plan routes and schedules more efficiently, eliminating the need for time-consuming back-and-forth communication with the drivers.
- Identifying areas of improvement in fleet operations. This feature enables early detection of mechanical wear and tear that could delay a truck from being on the road. With this level of visibility, organizations can stay ahead of issues and keep their operations running efficiently at maximum capacity.
- Automating business processes and communications. Using predictive analysis and machine learning, AI helps identify repetitive tasks and automates processes to help simplify operations. This helps reduce inefficiencies and minimize manual work, allowing managers and drivers to focus their time and efforts on more meaningful, substantive work.
- Improving safety and compliance. AI systems can analyze driver behavior, vehicle diagnostics, and real-time road conditions. By analyzing various data, fleet management systems can detect risky driving behaviors and issue an audio alert before an accident occurs. Through AI, managers can also easily track drivers’ Hours of Service (HOS) to comply with DOT regulations and prevent road mishaps from happening.
What Steps Can Fleet Managers Take To Implement an Intelligent Management System?
Step 1: Consider investing in advanced fleet management technology.
As fleet operations grow, fleet managers should invest in advanced fleet management technology to gain better insight into their fleet operations. Through cutting-edge technologies like GPS tracking, engine diagnostics, and driver performance monitoring, fleet managers can identify opportunities for improving efficiencies and reducing expenses.
While the initial costs of fleet management technology may seem high, the potential savings and long-term benefits can far outweigh the costs over the lifetime of a fleet. For fleet managers seeking an advantage in a competitive industry, advanced fleet management technology can be a smart investment for future-proofing operations.
Step 2: Research the right systems and tools.
Staying up-to-date with the latest advancements in fleet management technology helps managers create a strategy that will help improve their fleet operations. AI-powered tools like Netradyne’s fleet management software can help companies reduce costs, increase productivity, and provide the best possible service to customers. This software analyzes vehicle and driver data to uncover metrics and trends. Managers can use this data-driven information to gain a competitive advantage and lead a successful operation.
Step 3: Focus on what will be critical as you move forward.
Fleet managers have a crucial job overseeing the vehicles and operations of their organization’s fleet. Using fleet management software, managers can track vehicle utilization rates, fuel consumption, and maintenance costs—all critical aspects that will help the company reduce spending and increase profit. The software can also identify which vehicles are underutilized or whether fuel consumption could be lowered by switching to more fuel-efficient models.
Step 4: Establish a process for data collection and analysis.
AI can help companies establish a robust and insightful data collection and analysis process. Comprehensive fleet management does an excellent job of collecting and analyzing data for future use, from fuel consumption and mileage to driving behaviors and road hazards.
This feature allows managers to implement proper training, incentives, and rewards programs to encourage safer and more efficient driving habits. Moreover, the software provides optimization opportunities that help managers achieve a more profitable fleet.
Step 5: Develop an infrastructure strategy for your business and communicate with your team.
A reliable system can help managers develop the best strategy for their fleet and keep their team informed and on schedule. Armed with data, managers can determine optimal fleet sizes, vehicle types, and routing schedules to minimize costs while meeting service demands.
Managers can also use the software’s reporting features to evaluate driver and vehicle performance and communicate achievements or areas for improvement to their team. Dispatchers can quickly locate available vehicles and assign jobs to drivers, who receive real-time route information and arrival updates via mobile apps.
Step 6: Iterate and improve processes on an ongoing basis.
Managers can use fleet management software data to refine their business processes. For example, noticing patterns in fuel consumption can reveal ways to improve driver training and encourage economical driving habits. Managers can also track vehicle maintenance needs to uncover ways to streamline regular service scheduling to reduce downtime.
Moreover, closely following the locations and schedules of vehicles may suggest routes or assignments that better balance workloads. In this way, fleet management software allows managers to iteratively evaluate and enhance procedures continuously, using real-time data and insights to create a more competitive, productive, and profitable fleet operation.
Artificial Intelligence can be used in a variety of ways to make fleets more productive and efficient by helping you to understand the data being gathered by your vehicles. Fleet managers need to make sure they are up-to-date with the latest AI technology so they can better manage their fleets.
Leverage Netradyne’s fleet management technology to begin harnessing the power of AI today and achieve greater visibility, reduced downtime, and improved performance across your entire fleet operation!